Donard in 1837

Old Donard Church and graveyard | Photo Jim Butler C 2020
Old Donard Church and graveyard
Photo Jim Butler C 2020
Donard House | Photo C Walsh family
Donard House
Photo C Walsh family
Heighington Burial Ground in old Donard Church | Photo Jim Butler C 2020
Heighington Burial Ground in old Donard Church
Photo Jim Butler C 2020
Church of Ireland, Donard | Photo Jim Butler C 2020
Church of Ireland, Donard
Photo Jim Butler C 2020
Kilcough moated rath | From Google Maps
Kilcough moated rath
From Google Maps

These are extracts from “A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland” written by Samuel Lewis in 1837. (1)

Topography

Topography represents a particular area in detail, including everything natural and man-made. The following is a brief description of Donard in 1837.

“DONARD, a parish, in the barony of LOWER TALBOTSTOWN, county of WICKLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 4.50 miles (E. by S.) from Dunlavin; containing, with the ancient chapelry of Dunbey, 1463 inhabitants, of which number, 717 are in the village.

The 1798 Rebellion

During the disturbances of 1798, the village was burnt by the insurgents, the inhabitants having been driven to seek refuge in Dunlavin: the church was garrisoned by the yeomanry, on this occasion, which greatly injured it, and it has since become dilapidated. A market and two fairs were formerly held here by patent, but both have been discontinued, though a pleasure fair is yet held on the 15th of Aug. This a (sic) constabulary police station.

Donard House

Donard House is the residence of Mrs. Heighington.

The Church of Ireland church

The church is in the later style of architecture, with a square tower surmounted with pinnacles; the interior is very neatly fitted up, and on the north side there is a handsome white marble tablet to the memory of Charles Fauscett, Esq., who died in 1834; it was built on a new site in 1835, by aid of grant of £850 by the late Board of First Fruits.

The Roman Catholic Chapel

In the Roman Catholic divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Dunlavin; there is a chapel in the village.

The parochial school

The parochial school is aided by an annual donation from the vicar; and an infants’ school for foundlings sent from the Foundling Hospital, Dublin, is supported by that institution. In these schools about 150 children are taught; and there is also a Sunday school.

Moated rath

Near the village is a, moated rath, or Danish fort, and on the townland of Kilcough is another.” 

My location
Get Directions

(1)  Samuel Lewis:  A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, London 1837

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *