Chapel of Ease: the Church of the Holy Trinity, Donard

This is a short history of the old and new Roman Catholic Churches in Donard.

The old Church

The parish forms part of the union or district of Dunlavin.  The Chapel of Ease, which was the ‘old church’, was built to give easy access to a place of worship for the parishioners of Donard instead of travelling the longer distance to Dunlavin.  Hence the name ‘The Chapel of Ease’ .

The old church was in Donard, Demesne West where the community hall is now.  There was a national school in front of it which was built around 1820.  In the early 1920s the ground rent for this church and school was twelve pounds.

Tommy Whittle

Eventually, the church fell into disrepair and closed in 1925. I was told by Tommy Whittle, one of the oldest men in Donard today, that he was one of the last to be baptised in the old church.

The new Church

Donard was a very big parish at the time. All the parishioners came together and built a new church. It was situated approx half a mile outside the village. A lot of fundraising was done to fund the building. The church was opened in 1926.

View of Donard village from the Ball Moate. Top of old RC church is on left.
Photo Donard/Imaal History Group copyright
Interior old RC Church, on the site of current Community Hall, Donard.
Photo Donard/Imaal History Group copyright
Tommy Whittle
Photo courtesy of Edward Allen C 2020
Fundraising poster for Donard church, 1926.
Photo Donard/Imaal History Group copyright

Comments about this page

  • Hi John. thank you so much for the comment. We do have several articles to be published in the near future and these will feature photos of the forge.

    By Karen Allison (03/07/2020)
  • excellent photos and stories is there a photo of the old forge in donard

    By john gordon (22/06/2020)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *